Join the Publishers' Program
. Get paid for writing.
FREE NAIJA SONG LYRICS
Counsel to Preacher.
Counsel to Preacher.
Below are words of counsel for every preacher to abide by to have a successful ministry.
l. See that you are constrained by love to preach the gospel as Christ was to provide a gospel.
2. See that you have the special enduement of power from on high, by the baptism of the Holy Ghost.
3. See that you have a heart, and not merely a head call to undertake the preaching of the gospel.By this I mean, be heartily and most intensely inclined to seek the salvation of souls. as the great work of life, and do not undertake what you have no heart to.
4. Constantly maintain a close relationship with God.
5. Make the Bible your book of books.Study it much, upon your knees, waiting for divine light.
6. Beware of leaning on commentaries.Consult them when convenient; but judge for yourself, in the light of the Holy Spirit.
7. Keep yourself pure - in will, in thought, in feeling, in word and action.
8. Contemplate much on the guilt and danger of sinners, that your zeal for their salvation may be intensified.
9. Also deeply pounder and dwell much upon the boundless compassion of Christ for them.
l0. Love them as yourself, so as to be willing to die for them.
ll. Give your most intense thought to the study of ways and means by which you can save them.Make this the great and intense study of your life.
l2. Refuse to be diverted from this work.Guard against every temptation that would abate your interest in it.
l3. Believe the assertion of Christ that He is with you in this work always and everywhere, to give you all the help you need.
l4. "He that winnet souls is wise"; and "if any man lacketh wisdom, let him ask of God, who giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not, and he shall receive." "But let him ask in faith." Remember therefore, that you are bound to have the wisdom that shall win souls to Christ.
l5. Being called of God to the work, make your calling your constant argument with God for all that you need for the accomplishment of the work.
l6. Be diligent and active, "in season and out of season."
l7. Converse much with all classes of your hearers on the question of their salvation, that you may understand their opinions, errors and needs.As certain their prejuolices, ignorance, temper, habits, and whatever you need to know to adapt your instruction to their necessities.
l8. See that your own habits are in all respects correct; that you are temperate in all things - free from the stain or smell of tobacco, alcohol, hard drugs, or anything of which you have reason to be ashamed, and which may stumble others.
l9. Be not "light-minded," but "set the Lord always before you."
20. Bridle your tongue, and be not given to idle and unprofitable conversation.
2l. Always let your people see that you are in solemn earnest with them, both in the pulpit and out of it; and let not your daily contacts with them nullify your serious teaching on the Lord's Day.
22. Resolve to "know nothing" among your people "save Jesus Christ and Him crucified"; and let them understand that as an ambassador of Christ your business with them relates wholly to the salvation of their souls.
23. Be sure to teach as well by example and by precept.Practise yourself what you preach.
24. Be especially guarded in your contacts with women, to raise no thought or suspicion of the least impurity in yourself.
25. Guard your weak points.If naturally tending to gaiety and trifling, watch against occassions for failure in this direction.
26. If naturally samber and unsocial, guard against moroseness and unsociability.
27. Avoid all affectation and shame in all things.Be what you profess to be, and you will have no temptation to "make believe."
28. Let simplicity, sincerity and christian propriety stamp your whole life.
29. Spend much time every day and night in prayer and direct communion with God.No amount of learning and study can compensate for the loss of this communion.If you fail to maintain communion with God, you are "weak as another man."
30. Beware of the error that there are no means of regeneration and consequently, no connection of means and ends in the regeneration of souls.
3l. Understand that conversion is a moral and voluntary change.
32. Understand that the gospel is adapted to change the heartr of men, and in a wise presentation of it, you may expect the efficient co-operation of the Holy Spirit.
33. In the selection and treatment of your texts, always secure the direct teaching of the Holy Spirit.
34. Let all your sermons be heart and not merely head sermons.
35. Preach from experience and not from hear say, or from mere reading and study.
36. Always present the subject which the Holy Spirit lays upon your heart for the occassion.Seize the points presented by the Holy Spirit and your own mind, and present them with the greatest possible directness to your congregation.
37. Be full of prayer whenever you attempt to preach, and go from your closet to your pulpit, with the inward groanings of the Spirit pressing for utterance at your lips.
38. Get your mind fully imbued with your subject, so that it will press for utterance; then open your mouth, and let it forth like a torrent.
39. See that "the fear of man that bringeth a snare" is not upon you.Let your people understand that you fear God too much to be afraid of them.
40. Never let the question of your popularity with your people influence your preaching.
4l. Never let the question of salary deter you from "declaring the whole counsel of God, whether men will hear or forbear."
42. Do not temporize, lest you lose the confidence of your people and thus fail to save them.They cannot thoroughly respect you, as an ambassador of Christ, if they see that you dare not do your duty.
43. Be sure to "commend yourself to every man's conscience in the sight of God."
44. Be "not a lover of filthy lucre."
45. Avoid every appearance of vanity.
46. So live and labour as to compel your people to respect your sincerity and your spritual wisdom.
47. Let them not for one moment suppose that you can be influenced in your preaching by any considerations of salary, more or less, or none at all.
48. Do not make the impression that you are fond of good dinners and like to be invited out to dine; for this will be a snare to you and a stumbling block to them.
49. Keep your body under, lest after having preached to others, you yourself should be a castaway.
50. "Watch for souls as one who must give an account to God."
5l. Be a diligent student, and throughly instruct your people in all that is essential to their salvation.
52. Never flatter the rich.
53. Do not allow yourself to be bribed into a compromise with sin by donation parties.
54. Be especially attentive to the needs and the instruction of the poor.
55. Do not allow yourself to be pubilcly treated as a mendicant, or you will be despised by a large class of your hearers.
56. Repel every attempt to close your mouth against whatever is extravagant, wrong, or injurious among your people.
57. Maintain your pastoral integrity and independence, lest you sear your conscience, quench the Holy Spirit, forfeit the confidence of your people, and lose the favour of God.
58. Be an example to the flock, and let your life illustrate your teachings.Remember that your actions and spirit will teach even more impressively than your sermons.
59. If you preach that men should offer to God and their neighbor a love service, see that you do this yourself, and avoid all that tends to the belief that you are working for pay.
60. Give to your people a love service, and encourage them to render to you not a money equivalent for your labour but a love reward that will refresh both you and them.
6l. Repel every proposal to get money for you or for church purposes that will naturally disgust and excite the contempt of worldly but thoughtful men.
62. Resist the introduction of tea parties, amusing lectures, and dissipating socials, especially at those seasons most favourable for united efforts to convert souls to Christ.Be sure the devil will try to head you off in this direction.When you are praying and planning for a revival of God's work, some of your worldly church members will invite you to a party.Go not, or you are in for a cycle of them, which will defeat your prayers.
63. Do not be deceived.Your spritual power with your people will never be increased by accepting invitations at such times.If it is a good time to have parties, because the people have leisure, it is a good time for religious meetings, and your influence should be used to draw the people to the house of God.
64. See that you personally know and daily live upon Christ.
Note: Free registration is still ongoing on the site, but you must upgrade with N2,000 to be able to cashout your earnings every Friday of the week)
Fun & Jokes
This forum does not have any topics.
Top Posters This Month (500 Credits)
Designed by Rave Capital