Guest Sign UpLoginNew PostSections ₦0What's Up?DownloadsShopChatToolsAdvertise
Join the Publishers' Program. Get paid for writing.
Recharge DSTV, GOTV, StarTimes, & PREPAID METERS on

Mr A

How to Lower Your Tax Bill: Top Tax Deductions and Credits

Taxes can be a significant financial burden, but fortunately, there are ways to reduce your tax bill. By taking advantage of tax deductions and credits, you can lower your taxable income and save money. In this article, we will discuss some of the most common and valuable tax deductions and credits that you should consider when filing your taxes.

1. Retirement Savings Contributions

One of the best ways to lower your taxable income is by contributing to a qualified retirement plan, such as a 401(k) or an individual retirement account (IRA). Contributing to these accounts can offer significant tax benefits, including:

  • Immediate tax deductions for traditional IRA and 401(k) contributions
  • Tax-deferred growth on the investment earnings
  • In some cases, tax credits for low- and moderate-income taxpayers
For the 2022 tax year, the maximum contribution limit for a 401(k) is $20,500, while the limit for a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA is $6,000 ($7,000 if you’re 50 or older). Remember that Roth IRA contributions are made on an after-tax basis and don’t provide a tax deduction. However, qualified withdrawals from a Roth IRA are generally tax-free.

2. Health Savings Account (HSA) Contributions

A health savings account (HSA) is a tax-advantaged medical savings account available to individuals enrolled in a high-deductible health plan (HDHP). Contributions to an HSA are tax-deductible, meaning they reduce your taxable income for the year. Additionally, the interest and investment earnings in an HSA grow tax-free, and withdrawals for qualified medical expenses are not taxed.

For 2022, the maximum HSA contribution limit is $3,650 for individuals and $7,300 for families. Individuals aged 55 and older can contribute an additional $1,000 as a catch-up contribution.

3. Mortgage Interest Deduction

If you have a mortgage on your primary residence or a second home, you may be able to deduct the interest paid on your mortgage loan. The mortgage interest deduction allows you to lower your taxable income by the amount of interest you've paid on your mortgage.

For mortgages taken out after December 15, 2017, the deduction applies to interest on up to $750,000 in mortgage debt ($375,000 if married filing separately). For mortgages taken out before this date, the limit is $1 million ($500,000 if married filing separately).

4. Home Office Deduction

If you're self-employed and use part of your home exclusively and regularly for business purposes, you may be able to claim the home office deduction. This can help reduce your taxable income by allowing you to deduct a portion of your home expenses, including:

  • Mortgage interest or rent
  • Property taxes
  • Utilities
  • Insurance
  • Depreciation
  • Maintenance and repairs
There are two methods to calculate the home office deduction: the simplified method and the actual expense method. The simplified method multiplies your home office square footage by a standard rate of $5 per square foot, up to a maximum of 300 square feet. The actual expense method requires detailed record keeping, but it may result in a larger deduction.

5. State and Local Tax (SALT) Deduction

The state and local tax (SALT) deduction allows you to deduct some or all of the state and local income, sales, and property taxes you paid during the year. This deduction can help reduce your federal taxable income. However, due to changes under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, the total combined amount of SALT deductions is capped at $10,000 ($5,000 if married filing separately) for tax years 2018 through 2025.

6. Charitable Contributions

If you make donations to qualified charitable organizations, you may be able to claim a tax deduction for those contributions. Besides cash donations, you can also deduct the fair market value of donated property, as well as mileage and other expenses incurred while volunteering for a qualified organization.

To claim the charitable contribution deduction, you must itemize your deductions on Schedule A of Form 1040. Keep in mind that your total charitable contributions deduction for the year is limited to 60% of your adjusted gross income (AGI), although some donations may be subject to lower limits.

7. Education Expenses

Several tax deductions and credits can help offset the cost of higher education, including:

1. American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC): This credit is worth up to $2,500 per eligible student for the first four years of postsecondary education. It is partially refundable, meaning that if the credit exceeds your tax liability, up to 40% of the remaining credit amount (up to $1,000) can be refunded to you.

2. Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC): The LLC provides a credit of up to $2,000 per tax return for qualifying education expenses incurred by eligible students. Unlike the AOTC, this credit is not refundable, and there is no limit to the number of years it can be claimed.

3. Student Loan Interest Deduction: You can deduct up to $2,500 in student loan interest paid during the year, as long as your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is below certain limits.

8. Child Tax Credit (CTC) and Child and Dependent Care Credit

Child Tax Credit (CTC): For tax years 2021 and 2022, the CTC has been expanded and offers up to $3,600 for each child under 6 and $3,000 for each child between 6 and 17. The credit is fully refundable, which means that if the credit reduces your tax liability below zero, you will receive the difference as a tax refund.

Child and Dependent Care Credit: If you have children under 13 or dependents who are unable to care for themselves, and you incur expenses for their care so you can work or look for work, you may be eligible for the Child and Dependent Care Credit. This credit can be worth up to $4,000 for one qualifying individual or $8,000 for two or more qualifying individuals, depending on your adjusted gross income.


With proper planning and knowledge of available tax deductions and credits, you can significantly reduce your tax bill. It's important to keep accurate records and consult a tax professional if you have questions or need assistance with your tax situation. Always research the latest tax laws and updates, as tax rules and limits can change from year to year.

Follow @JalingoHQ on twitter.

Related Topics

Top SectionsSee More

This forum does not have any topics.

Top Posters This Month (500 Credits)
(See More)